What Exactly Is An “Eye Emergency”?
Simply put, any situation where your eyesight is at immediate risk is considered an eye emergency. Your eyes are not meant to feel pain- when they do, immediate protective action should be taken. Remember, the eyes are our most exposed (and delicate) organ- care should always be taken to ensure their health.
Examples of eye emergencies:
- Getting a caustic chemical, such as a cleaning product, in the eye
- Chemically burning the eye (with said cleaning product)
- Getting something sharp lodged in the eye (such as a piece of glass)
- Serious physical damage to the eye (such as taking a baseball to the eye)
- Significant eye pain that has developed over the last few hours
- Sudden sensitivity to light (photophobia)
Addressing Eye Emergencies
Our optometry office is equipped with the latest diagnostic equipment available today. Short of performing surgery, we can provide nearly every eye-related service needed to determine the cause of your emergency and render appropriate treatment.